Greetings Happy People,
For my next post, I would like to share with you some memories and nostalgia about the city I live in - Las Vegas, Nevada. I have been here since the 80's and can tell you about the amazing growth that happened throughout the years.
If you are a friend of mine on Facebook, you have heard of some of these before. However, it is good to look at these things and say "WOW!! This city has grown big time!!"
I have twenty things that will have you know that you are an old school Las Vegan. There maybe more, but these are the ones that stand out in my mind.
Ready?? Here we go!!
YOU KNOW YOU ARE AN OLD SCHOOL LAS VEGAN IF.....
1. You remember when Rainbow Blvd was the westernmost street in the city.
2. You remember driving on Fremont Street in downtown Las Vegas
3. You remember casinoes like the Marina, Showboat, Hacienda, Sands, Dunes, Desert Inn, Vegas World, MGM (now Bally's), El Rancho, Sundance, Golden Goose, and the Glitter Gulch
4. You attended and graduated from the following original 10 high schools: Basic, Bishop Gorman, Bonanza, Chapparal, Clark, Eldorado, Las Vegas, Rancho, Valley, and Western.
5. You remembered the last time the city celebrated a sports championship - 1990 UNLV Rebels Men's Basketball team
6. You still wince and shutter when someone talks about Duke beating UNLV in the 1991 Final Four.
7. You drove on Craig Road when nothing was there.
8. You remember when the communities of Summerlin, Green Valley, Anthem, Centennial Hills, and Seven Hills did not exist
9. You remember railroad tracks being on the major streets just east of I-15.
10. You remember when North Las Vegas was "Northtown."
11. You remember when Martin Luther King Blvd was Highland Drive
12. You played at a huge park where the Grant Sawyer State Building is currently located (across the street from Cashman field).
13. You remember when US-95 north of Rainbow was just a four lane highway with nothing around it.
14. You remember what the city looked like BEFORE the mega-resorts were built
15. You remember the following LV Sports teams: Posse, SilverStreaks, Stars, Quicksilver, Thunder, Sting, and Cowboys
16. You remember who was the mayor of Las Vegas before Oscar Goodman (Jan Jones).
17. You remember when Richard Bryan was Nevada Governor, Bob Miller was Lt. Governor, and Harry Reid was not a Senator yet.
18. You remember when Bob Stupak ran for mayor.
19. You remember when Hoover Dam was overflowing
20. You remember when the Charleston Blvd underpass would flood when a huge rainstorm hit Vegas.
Did I bring back some memories for you? I hope so. I could go on about more memories. Heck!! You may have more memories that you would like to share about being an old school Las Vegan!!
It just goes to show you that no matter how fast and big this city grew, there are still those things that we can still remember. It is simply amazing!!
That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.