Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Promotion

Greetings happy people,

“Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is frenzied activity. Vision with action can change the world.”

I remembered someone giving me this quote many years ago. At first, I did not understood what it meant. But as time went by, I did. Like many things in life, it is always better to live the message rather than just reading it. The example I have for you today involves a promotion I received years ago. When I started working for my current workplace, I envisioned myself being in a supervisory role. Little did I knew, it was going to take me years to get to that point.

It was early 2001 and I passed two different tests. The first test was an Engineer Intern exam. The second was a Supervisor examination for my workplace. At the time, I felt excited and happy to pass these two exams. However, the celebration was short lived when I found out I had an interview in two days. Talk about an unexpected surprise. With frantic haste, I prepared as best as I could. When that interview took place, I knew that I was not going to get that position. Lack of preparation and knowing in a short time hurt my chances.

Months later, I had a shot at another promotion. This time I was prepared for it. I practiced my interviewing skills, looked at notes, and envisioned being in that open position. When the interview took place, I did a fantastic job. I was confident. I knew the answers and I thought “Hey!! I am going to get promoted!!” A couple weeks later, I found out that they gave it to someone else. My heart shattered and I felt disappointed. I should have known that something smelled funny when they brought in a new hire for a technician position weeks ago. He had the same qualifications I did. Apparently, they thought that he would do a better job. However, their plan backfired. This same guy not only got demoted back to the technician position, but got fired weeks later. That meant that two positions were now open: a technician and a supervisor position.

When they interviewed for that same position, I was cautious – thanks to the “back door” politics. Again, I did a great job but I did not get promoted. They gave it to someone else. After seeing the funk and smelling the stench, it would have been easy for me to just leave that place and find another job. But somehow, I knew that the opportunity was still out there.

Fortunately, it finally came in 2003. A supervisor was promoted to a higher position, leaving his position vacant. With little hesitation, I prepared for the interview and review materials that were relevant to the position. When it was time for the interview, I was fully prepared once again. Did I get promoted? YES!! I FINALLY DID!! After a two year trek, my vision became reality when I finally got promoted!! It was a damn good feeling to get to this point!!

When it comes to goals we want to achieve, we have our visions of making it happen. Heck, I still have a few more I love to see come true!! It does not matter if it is creating a business, getting a new car, or finding that loved one, we visualize what we want accomplished. To think is to create and when we have that vision in our minds, we know we can get there. All we have to do is have unwavering faith and take advantage of any opportunity. For vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is frenzied activity and vision with action can change YOUR world!!

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time an attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog