Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Mirror

Greetings Happy People,

“I’m starting with the man in the mirror
I’m asking if you change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make that change.”

Those lyrics were from the song “Man in the Mirror,” a number one hit from the King of Pop, the late Michael Jackson. When I first heard this song many years ago, I thought it was a song with a hopeful message for all. In order to change the world, we have to look in the mirror and change ourselves. The only way this simple message can be more poignant is living it.

When I was younger, I lived with some negativity and insecurity. You can say that I was a magnet that attracted the wrong things in life. I was derided because I talked different. People would tease me because I did not fit in a certain way. Some people even told me that I was not good enough. And others told me that I was neither attractive enough, tall enough, nor smart enough. Heck, I even had people tell that I would amount to nothing!!

When it comes to hearing those horrid words, the only mistake I made was believing what they said. When I believed those words, my self esteem crept deep into the abyss. To make things worse, I looked at those magazines that would show what a handsome person looked like. Seeing all those pictures made me more depressed because I was not like them. Those were not the best of times. This doubtful insecurity may have started at a younger age, but it lingered for years until I stopped and made a change for myself.

One day, I looked in the mirror and realized that my own self view was off. I looked at my own reflection and saw something completely different. Instead of viewing a monster, I saw a person with beautiful brown eyes, a nice skin complexion, and a wonderful smile to share. It took a long time to accept it, but I found a way to not only love myself for what I am not, but for who I am. I can now look at a mirror and appreciate that man inside it. When I see this man in the mirror, I see someone that is not only good looking, but also smart, courageous, and has that sense of style that can’t be matched. Appreciating myself has made MY world a better place.

Today, there are people harming themselves to gain the perfect look. Whether it is through crazy crash diets or excessive cosmetic surgeries, people would go to extremes to just look beautiful. One person said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would rather say that it is in the mind of the person. When it comes to beauty, intelligence, or strength, we determine our own worth. No one can tell us any different. We all can see ourselves in a positive light.

It does not matter if you start from the top or the bottom, appreciate YOUR beauty!! All you have to do is start looking at the good features of your body, focus on the better ones, and THEN focus on the BEST ones!! Believe me. Once you do this, the view of yourself WILL change your world….in more ways than one!!

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog