Tuesday, August 11, 2009

And Knowing Is Half The Battle!!

Greetings Happy People,

To get things started, I would like to show you a few quotes from “top movie critics.”

“I could load you up with more plot details, but this mercilessly incoherent, galactically stupid movie left me too numb to type.”
- Peter Travers, Rolling Stone magazine


“This pricey, juiceless pulp could never have been killed by critics, simply because it was already dead.”
- Manohla Dargis, New York Times

“The only collateral damage is in the audience, where, as you sit through the movie, you can feel your IQ drop minute by minute.”
- Richard Corliss, Time Magazine

What in the world could these top critics be talking about? Well, it is none other than the number one movie in the nation this week, G.I. Joe – The Rise of Cobra. I did see the previews of the movie and being a person who once watched the cartoon with great zeal, I decided to check it out for myself.

Before I went to see this movie with my girlfriend, people at work told me not to even waste my time and money on this “box-office stinker.” This was according to them reading the reviews of the film instead of watching it themselves. Barring any other criticism against this movie, I still decided that I was going to watch it – no matter what anyone else said.

Last Sunday, Dana and I went to the Cannery to see this movie. And in my own humble opinion, I thought it was pretty good! How good was this movie? I would personally give G.I. Joe a "B" grade. Yes the storyline was predictable, and they gave time for the backgrounds of the main characters. But I still thought the movie was good nonetheless…and so did Dana!! At the end, you can tell that they were going to make a sequel just to continue the storyline.

When Dana and I left the movie theater, we did not leave scratching our head. We did not leave angry. Instead, we felt good about what we saw. It was a great way to end a FABULOUS weekend!!

I don’t know about all of you, but I find it funny that the top critics would give bad reviews to a movie like this and give great reviews to something incredibly boring. The only critic that I listen to when it comes to movies (and other things) is me. I know what is good and what is awful because it is my own opinion!!

There is a good message to this story. Instead of listening to what other people say about certain things, check it out first…THEN make a decision for yourself. Whether is it going to a movie, dining at a restaurant, or checking out music from an artist, you have that right to determine what is good and what is awful. No one can take this decision away from you because it is yours! You are your own top critic! When you listen to yourself, you will feel better about it because you choose not to rush to any judgment off of another person’s word.

Just imagine if more people were to think for themselves…..wouldn’t that be interesting?

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog