Monday, August 17, 2009

Gratitude IS Gracious Attitude

Greetings Happy People!!

As I began writing this blog for you today, I had to stop and take a look at a few things: my car, my bed, my computer, a full refrigerator, the living room, and a closet full of clothes. As I look at these things, I feel very grateful to have them. With all that I have, there is one thing that I am even more grateful to have, my job.

While there are some very interesting characters at my workplace, I remain grateful for the job I have today. November 15, 2009 is an important milestone for me. That day will mark the 10 year anniversary of working at my current job. Why is this significant for me? Let me take you back to the spring of 1999.

Ten years ago, I was finishing up my last semester at UNLV. There were plenty hoops of fire I had to jump through during my last semester at that school. Besides the rigorous courses I still had to finish, there were other obstacles that made the path more difficult. I was working as an intern for a guy with a Napoleonic complex, I had two projects to complete before graduating, and a woman whom I admired and loved as a kid - my grandmother in Arkansas - passed away from complications of diabetes. Her passing hit me so hard, I mentally checked out for the rest of that semester. Part of me was happy to graduate, but part of me felt numb after six years of studies.

Things were not easier after graduating from UNLV. When my student status ended at UNLV, so did my internship. That meant that I was without a job. The first place I applied for was my current workplace. I took the exam, aced it, and got on the interviewing list. Little did I know, it would take me about five months to even get an interview. During those five months, I applied for different engineering positions. There were some places where I had to take tests, others I would just send in a resume and take interviews. Either way, I would get rejected. The more rejections I faced, the more depressed I became. I wondered if anyone would hire me. It got to the point where I would apply for something outside of what I studied for. If it was any consolation, at least I knew I could type 45 words per minute – not bad huh?

Then in September of 1999, I got a phone call for an interview. It was for an Engineering Technician position at my current workplace. I went into the interview, answered the questions, and did not get that job. However, one of the interviewers named Marshall was so impressed with me that I got a second interview for a different position. At the time, Marshall was the head of that workplace. He had worked there for 38 years and was a couple months away from retirement. According to my co-workers, he told my current boss “There is this kid from college that you should check out. I think he would be a good addition to this place.” Two months later at the second interview, I did well again. And this time I finally got hired!! After six months of unemployment, I finally got hired by someone!! WHOO-HOO!! It was a complete relief!! What was ironic about the whole thing was that fact that this was the first place I applied for six months ago!! What took them so long?

The good news did not end there. When they found out I had a civil engineering degree from UNLV, they automatically promoted me to a higher technician position within three weeks. After that, I took advantage of other opportunities which led me to where I am now, and will into the future!!

As I type this blog to you people, I realize how important it is to be grateful for what I have. That makes me feel pretty good!! In times like these, we as a people must be grateful for the things we have right now. Even if you only have a dollar in your pocket, be grateful for that!! It is very important to have this gracious attitude because it can make you feel good, as well as attract more positive things to you!! I have and will benefit from this. Chances are you will too!!

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog