Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bend or Break

Greetings Happy People,

Do you know someone that is stuck in that one-way thinking?

The person that always has that mind set on one thing and ONLY that one thing.

No matter what people tell them, they never seems listen to reason.

For these people, it’s always my way or the highway. While it maybe good to have that mind set on a goal, you got to show some flexibility. I believe that there is always more than one way to get things done. One of my favorite sayings is the following:

“IF PLAN A DOESN’T WORK, USE PLAN B UP YOUR SLEEVE.
IF PLAN B DOESN’T WORK, USE PLAN C IN YOUR BACK POCKET.
IF PLAN C DOESN’T WORK, USE PLAN D IN YOUR SHOE.”

– Jesse Oakley I-I-I


This means that if one way does not work; find another way to get it done!! Not to long ago, I went to a Toastmaster meeting. The attendance was scarce. Before the meeting started, I was asked to do three different roles. Being a seasoned Toastmaster, I volunteered. As the meeting went along, I can see why the attendance was pretty scarce.

One person dominated the show. It just wasn’t any Toastmaster, it was one of those Toastmasters that “knew everything.” Seeing this person in action made my head ache because it is always my way or the highway. This person wanted to do things in certain ways. If anyone tries to show this person a different way to get things done, forget it!! This person will not bend!!

In the beginning, this club had a pretty good attendance. As time passed, the attendance became smaller and smaller. Why? Because this person will not bend!! Instead it’s always, “My way is this way” or “My way is that way.” The person is hard to reason with. Many seasoned Toastmasters try to help this club. But thanks to this one-track mind, they were quickly turned off and walked away. I spoke to different people about this person and they confirmed my suspicions.

This year I am serving as the Lt. Governor of Marketing for my Toastmaster District. My responsibility is to oversee the welfare of membership and clubs all over the District. From my own aspect, I can just shake my head. Why? Because if this person does not bend soon, the whole club will break!! And that will hurt on all levels: Club, Area, Division, District, Region, AND International.

If I can talk to this person face to face, I would have this person look at where the club got started and where it is right now. Then I will ask if they notice a difference. If this person does, then change is possible. If not, then there is no way this person can be helped. And once this club breaks, this person’s reputation will also break as well!!

Everybody has goals. Everybody has visions. Everybody wants to meet those visions and goals. But if people try to use the one-track system to get those goals, they will not go very far. Sometimes, you have to bend towards different options to get things done. The more roads you have, the better the chance you have to get to that destination. From a person that has lived through this logic many times, it is always better to bend than break. Because when you break, you will be broken.

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog