Saturday, May 22, 2010

Be Your Own Ant

Greetings Happy People,

Do you remember the story of "The Ant and the Grasshopper?"

It is not just only about the importance of preparation, but also about the results of one's improvidence. On one end, you have ants storing their food for the upcoming winter. One the other end, you have a grasshopper fooling around without a care in the world. When the winter came, the ants benefitted from their preparedness, while the grasshopper suffered from the effects of his irresponsibility.

This classic fable from Aesop can be applied to our own lives. Do you know anyone that is like the ant? Responsible, hard-working, always thinking ahead of the curve? Do you know anybody that is a grasshopper? Lazy, irresponsible, all talk, no action, and a complete slacker? If you know anyone that fits these traits, chances are that they live their lives similar to the story.

One example I like to use is based on where I work. Several months ago, my workplace had an upcoming inspection. This inspection was to determine our own competency when it came to performing various laboratory tests. Months before the important inspection, I read updated materials on how to perform these tests. I also did a few practice runs to make sure the tests are run properly.

Meanwhile, there was one co-worker - let's call him Clark - that did the complete opposite of what I did. Clark is pretty much the braggart type. Always talking loud and bragging about how he can do the tests way better than anyone in the laboratory. He never took the time to look at any updated manuals. He chastized his workers by telling them that they are performing the tests all wrong. He even had the nerve to kissup to his boss by telling him not to worry because he got everything under control.

On the week of the inspection, I was fully prepared to show the inspectors all the tests I was ready to perform. On the other end, Clark was bragging to the inspectors that his lab was the best and were ready to "wow" them. At the end of the inspection, Clark did "wow" them alright - by getting the most dings out of everyone at that place. As for me, I performed my tests well enough to get some good marks. For his improvidence, Clark had to write a letter on what went wrong with his performance. For my own efforts, I received great marks from my boss. In this story, you can say that I was the ant and Clark was the grasshopper.

There are millions of stories that parallels this fable. It does not matter if it is at work, home, or somewhere else, the story of the ant and the grasshopper can be applied to anyone!! The only question I have for you is how do you see yourself? Do you see yourself as an ant or a grasshopper? If you see yourself as a grasshopper, there is not much I can say to you. If you see yourself as an ant, all I got to say is to keep doing what you are doing. The rewards from your efforts will be plenty.

It is always good to be the ant. Responsible, thinking ahead, and hard-working. If we have more ants, the world would run a lot better than before. If you want to be an ant, you can!! All you got to do is think about what the ants did in that story and apply it to your life. It will definitely pay off in the end and you will live happiliy ever after :o)

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog