Sunday, January 3, 2010

Breaking Through the Wall of Ice

Greetings Happy People,

I just had one of my best nights last night. It was filled with fun, good times, and great company. I spent some time with a few happy people, at a happy place, listening to happy music. I was at Napoleon’s Bar listening to Dueling Pianos. I can tell you that I had a great time!!

This was not the first time I felt great. And I am pretty sure that it won’t be the last. As I was driving Dana home, an amazing feeling took over my body. It was a good feeling. No, it has nothing to do with sex. Instead, it was something that made me feel.....just good!! How can this possibly be? Let me start by telling you that my life began at 32.

Some of you readers are probably thinking two things:

1. I am 34 years old right now

2. Why 32 and not an earlier age?

Well, let me take you back to earlier times.

You may remember from earlier stories that I have given credit to my success to the high school I attended. While, it may have served as a starting point to where I am right now, I can tell you that I did not have much of a social life when I went there. Yes, I did go to a few dances, went to a couple of social events, and made some friends along the way. But I really did not get a chance to develop a social life with my fellow classmates at that time. This was due to the fact that I had really over-protective people in my life. I am not only talking about a parent, but an older sister too. They wanted me to live life by their own experiences. Deep inside, I knew that my experiences did not have to match theirs but I was not courageous enough to say anything. This fear led me to create my own wall of ice.

Years passed and I went on to college. While it was great that I went to UNLV and did what I did, a part of me still did not feel good, because I had part of that
over-protective force over my head in the form of that icy wall. Yes, I did as much as I could academically, but I really did not develop much of a social life there either. I spent six years there and can not remember too much fun. I don’t know about you, but that is not a good feeling.

Let’s fast forward now to May 2008. I already moved out on my own (independence day - June 8, 2006) and got pretty involved in an organization I love very much (Toastmasters). As a matter of fact, I was just elected to serve as a Division Governor for the 2008-2009 year. Before the election, a friend told me about a seminar that I should attend. At first I was reluctant, but then I decided to go through it. Once I got through those four days of the seminar, my life REALLY began!!

While this seminar had plenty of exercises, there was one that really stood out for me. I was sitting across from a young lady. The room was dark and we both had our eyes closed. We started talking about our different life experiences. When it was my turn, I discussed many parts of my life. When it was over, my eyes were watering and I was balling. The emotion I felt was a release for me. If I were to describe it for you, it was like having a sledgehammer breaking that wall of ice. The immense baggage that had been hovering over my head was gone!!

I could now live MY life!! And boy did I ever!! Thanks to that personal breakthrough, I managed to enjoy life a little better, discover new things in my life, rekindle my own renaissance, and do cool things I never had the chance to do before!! It is an amazing feeling that I am still enjoying to this day!!

How far am I willing to go with this new outlook I received? As you can tell, I am willing to go as far as I can AND MORE.

I know that this may sound like I am a late bloomer, but the message I have for you is this. Only YOU can live your life the best way YOU know how!! If you go out there to appease other people, you would not really satisfying yourself!! Instead, you would be creating you own headaches in the process. Always remember that YOU can create your own experiences, YOU can learn from your own experiences, and YOU have the limitless ablity to live YOUR LIFE!! Just go out there and do it!! You will be better off!!

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog