Monday, October 5, 2009

Don't Quit!!

Greetings Happy People,

Most of you know that I am involved with Toastmasters International, a non-profit educational organization dedicated in helping people improve their communication, public speaking, and leadership skills. For the past 14 years, I encountered many experiences as a speaker and leader. One experience that stood out for me happened at the Spring 2008 District Conference in Ventura, California.

Back then, I was elected to serve as a Division Governor for the 2008-2009 year and met a gentleman who gave me two encouraging words that stuck to me. He said “Don’t Quit!!” The gentleman that told me those words was Don Ensch.

Don has been a Toastmaster for 51 years. He has served in many leadership roles from the club level to an International Director on the Toastmasters International Board. He is a Distinguished Toastmaster and one of a few Accredited Speakers in this organization. He also met the man that told him the same two words he told me – the founder of Toastmasters International, Dr. Ralph Smedley (1878-1965).

Thanks to the words given by Mr. Ensch, I managed to have a pretty successful year as a Division Governor!!

When it comes to achieving any type of goal, these are the two most powerful words that we must hear on a constant basis. Yes there will be those times when we fall down. There will also be those times where we feel the disappointment in not reaching that desired point. While it sounds easy to give up all hope, we must not!! Instead we must replace those feelings of despair with feeling of all out hope!!

Reaching our goals without quitting proves that we can just do it. It also proves that we are more powerful than we actually are. When we choose not to quit, we will come out on top!!

Face it!! If I were to quit on many things in life, I would not be where I am right now. I would not have the career I have. I would not have met my girlfriend. I would not have finished college. I really would not have lived life. When we quit, we shortchange ourselves on different opportunities that come across the horizon. When we quit, we lose not only the respect of the people around us, but also ourselves.

So if you have a goal that you are trying to achieve and are near wits end, remember never to give up. You will be better off in the long run!!

That is all I have for today. Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog