Saturday, January 7, 2012

True Colors

Greetings Happy People,

One day, I was at the grocery store picking up some food when I saw something completely interesting.

There was this kid walking down the aisle with his mother. He was rapping and talking some street lingo. Feeling frustrated, the mother looked at her kid and told him, "Stop talking like a black person!!"

After hearing that, I walked up to the mother and said in my American English language "Excuse me miss, but I don't talk like that."

The look on her face was priceless.

She was embarrassed. The kid was surprised. Both of them walked away without anything to say.

I don't know about you Happy People, but it's pretty fun to bust up another person's stereotype.

For me, this is not a surprise at all, I have been getting this for the past 25 years from both sides of the fence. Either I am "too black" for some people or "too white" for others. As a kid, it was pretty painful because I always seem not to measure up to anyone else's standards. As an adult, I choose to live by my own standards and just take comfort in being the person within. When I am able to grasp the latter concept, my true colors will always come shining through.

In this world, there are people that judge others on looks, behaviors, beliefs, and anything else under the sun. It is a shame that they never take the time out to look at the person. They never know the fascinating things they might find. One might like the same type of music. One might agree with some beliefs. Heck, one might have the same hobbies that the other is interested in. You never know unless you go beyond the physical colors and see the true colors.

If you feel like you don't fit into someone's standards, just ask yourself what standards are you trying to live up to? Are they your own or what others want you to be? If they are your own, then you don't have to worry about it. If they are not, just ask yourself "Why?" Life is too short to be pigeonholed into someone else's category, just be the best person you know you can be and your true colors will start shining through!!

Who knows? You might bust someone else's stereotype and open up something more!!

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I    

No comments:

Search This Blog