Friday, November 27, 2009

Dreaming to Dare

Greetings Happy People,

I just woke up from an interesting dream. I was at the multipurpose room at the old campus of Bishop Gorman High School. With a 5’6” (and 160 lb. frame) I stood next to a bunch of people that were taller than me. I tried out for the Junior Varsity basketball team. Even though I did not make the cut, I had great experiences trying out.

Like many tryout sessions, I went through some drills, made a couple of shots, and met some new people during the whole process. The following year, I tried out for the football team. Like my tryout experience with basketball, I went through a few drills and met some more cool people. Even though I gave what I could, I did not make that team either.

While it may seem certain that I would not have a bright career in athletics, I knew that there was something else that I would be good at. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I felt very thankful for not having a one track mind. I knew that there was something more to life than tossing a ball through a hoop or running down a field. All I had to do was find out and try other things. Thanks to a few open doors, I participated in the mixed chorus and Kiwanis Key Club (a student-led organization whose goal is to teach leadership through serving others). Both experiences were just as good as trying out for the football and basketball team. Little did I know at the time, it was only the tip of the iceberg.

When I got to UNLV, I knew that my interest in playing with numbers would take me to Engineering school. During my studies at UNLV (well before I discovered a certain public speaking organization), I honed my writing skills. It was the Fall semester in 1993 and I was taking an English A class. There I met a Criminal Justice student named Jason. He showed me the different techniques and writing styles that gave those extra punches to my term papers. Jason knew a thing or two about writing himself. Later in his life, he wrote a best-selling book that was relevant to his major.

As for me, I used my writing skills not only to write some pretty good term papers. I also used my writing skills to dabble into poetry and later turn into something called a “blog.” Hmmm, interesting huh??

Finding my own discoveries did not end at high school or college. As a matter of fact, I am still discovering more things for myself. Some are good and some I probably would not touch with a 20-foot pole. For each discovery I learn, the experience follows. Imagine if I had a one track mind in high school. Chances are that I would not get as far as I did. Heck, I would not be sitting here at 2 o’clock in the morning writing this message to all you happy people. It does not hurt to know what you are good at. It only hurts not knowing what you are able to do. When opportunity beckons you to try something out, GO FOR IT!! You never know the outcome unless you take those steps for yourself.

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog