Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Is It Worth the Price?

Greetings Happy People,

I had a pretty interesting phone call yesterday.

It was from a friend that I have not heard from in a while. Let's call her "Rose."

We spoke for 20 minutes. It started off with nice hellos. After that, it took a different turn after being asked the following five-word question:

"How is life treating you?"

On my end, life has been pretty good. I am getting married in a few months, visited my folks, enjoying good company with fellow Toastmasters, and took a nice trip to Seattle.

On her end, she had the same problems that stuck with her for years. The man she is seeing is still treating her terribly. He would not allow her to do the things she wanted to do. He talk down to her as if she was a dog. He also put his needs over hers in an extremely selfish manner. To make things even worse, he abuses her physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Like the many times before, she complains about him and wishes to leave him one of these day. I asked her why doesn't she leave him?

Her response was money. She did not have enough money to move or go anywhere.

As a response, I asked her, "Is it worth the price?"

Silence dominated the conversation for the next few seconds..........

Talk about some food for thought.

Somewhere in the world, there are women that are in Rose's situation. They are in a relationship where their partners are abusing them more ways than one. It does not matter the age, race, gender, or financial situation, relationship like these can get worse if the person chooses to stay in it.

Why?

Some would say that it is finances. Others say that they can "change the person." They can also say that they are staying for the sake of the children. You also have some people that say that they just love them?

What?!! How they can love someone that abuses them goes beyond my understanding.

Hitting someone is not love.
Talking down to someone is not love.
Any type of abuse is not love.
Love beings with looking in the mirror
and asking yourself "if it's worth the price?"

For my sake, I hope Rose has enough courage to leave that jerk and start her life anew. Will she do it? Only she knows the answer. I just hope she picks the right one.

Life is too short to go be a part of this abusive cycle. One is way better than that.

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog