Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Probabilities of a Good Friendship

Greetings Happy People,

Have you ever had a moment where you’d help a friend even if you don’t know what you’re doing?

I had that moment a couple months ago.

I received a phone call from one of my best friends Denise. She mentioned that she needed some help passing a Final Exam for her Statistics class. Never having taken the class a day in my life, I said “Yes.”

Now why in the world would I give that response to Denise? I knew nothing about Statistics!!

While it is true that I did graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, I never took a Statistics class during my studies. I took courses in Algebra, Trigonometry, Pre-calculus, Calculus, and Linear Equations, but I never took a Statistics class. All I can hope is that my strong background in mathematics is good enough to help Denise pass this exam.

When I arrived at Denise’s house, I did not know what to expect. I wanted to tell her that I never took the class, but I did not want to disappoint her. So I kept forth in helping her out. As I cracked open the Statistics book for the very first time, I saw plenty of summations, and equations that I never saw before. Digging deep into my mathematical brain, I found out that some of these equations can be relevant to the probability exercises.

I carefully read the purpose of the probable methods and somehow the ideas snapped into my head. Don’t ask me why, but it did. The next thing I knew is that I was explaining the different processes to Denise – even though I never took the class before!!

Additionally, I demonstrated more examples using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. When all was said and done, she rewarded me with a nice strawberry shortcake dessert. As I left her house, I hope that what I knew was enough to help Denise pass.

One week later, I got a phone call from Denise. She passed the exam!! At first my mind was blown because I helped her pass without taking the class myself!! This was a pretty miraculously awesome experience that made the both of us feel good!!

Another week later, I confessed to Denise. She was surprised and amazed that I would help her out, not even knowing about the class at hand. She was also grateful that I took the time to help her out. We are still good friends to this day!!

Do you know friends that would step in for you even if they don’t know what they are doing? If so, be grateful that you have them. For these friends are the ones that will stick to you in times that are thick or thin. The probabilities of these friendships are greater than one can imagine. Just ask Denise.

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog