Monday, October 10, 2011

#@*#&*!! - The End of Customer Service?

Greetings Happy People,

As I sit back and watch football tonight, I get a phone call.

I answer the phone to the following automated message:

"Please wait, someone has an important message for you."

After hearing this message for the fourth time, a human being finally responds:

"Are you Hector Guiterrez?" he asked.

"No." I responded.

"Do you know where I could find Hector Guiterrez?" he asked.

"In his skin?" I reply as I hung up on the befuddled individual.

WOW!! That is five minutes of my life I will never have back.

Whatever happened to good customer service? Has it gone the way of the dinosaur, land line phone booth, and corduroy pants? Are people that lazy enough to let an automated machine do their greetings for them instead of using their own voice? And you wonder why the people think negatively when companies resort to this measure.

And that is only the beginning, Happy People!!

This recent experience reminded me of another enlightening moment I had with customer service from another company. A couple months ago, I made a phone call to a company to discuss an issue with my service. With great care, they put me on hold with some lovely elevator music. It was at this moment, I decided to do a little experiment.

I first get into my car - The elevator music is still playing.

I start the car - The elevator music is still playing.

I drive on the street - The elevator music is still playing. (feel free to repeat this section)

I get on U.S. 95 - The elevator music is still playing.

I get off U.S. 95 - The elevator music is still playing.

I turn in to the parking lot - The elevator music is still playing.

I wait in line for 20 minutes - The elevator music is still playing.

I get to the front counter - The elevator music is still playing.

I put the phone to the front desk person's ear - The elevator music is still playing.

Do you get the point? I can only shake my head.

To keep a good business going, a little customer service can go a long way. In the era of businesses and companies losing profits via the bad economy, does it make sense to give customers the high quality service they deserve? I think so!!

Whether one is behind the phone, behind the counter, or behind anything else, customer service still matters!! The success you give can only be measured by what you put out to customers. If you give good service, you get good results. If you give bad service, you business will cease to exist.

I just wish more businesses can apply this simple manner. It will make it much easier for me and Hector Guiterrez.

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention - my beloved customers!!

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog