Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Three Signs That Brought Me Back To Toastmasters

Greetings Happy People,

Father's Day 2002.

I was at a Sunday church service. There were men talking about their fathers. Most of them told stories about how their fathers were not their for them. These men were upset, crying, and cursing them.

Yes, this did happen at church.

Realizing that this was draining the energy of the people in the church, my mother wanted me to talk about my father. At first, I did not want to do it. But after hearing all this negativity, I went up to the pulpit and talked about my father.

The message I gave was positive. During the middle of my speech, I mention that anyone can create a kid, but it takes a man to become a father. I got a surprising applause from those words. As soon as I finished my speech, I got standing ovations and thank yous from the people. They were happy because I spoke about the meaning of Father's Day when others went the total opposite.

Two months later, I rejoined Toastmasters.

When I graduated from UNLV in 1999, I was out of the Toastmasters realm (via Speechcraft). When I went through my last Speechcraft session, something told me that I will be back in that organization. Little did I know, there were three signs that cemented my return.

You have heard the first of the three. Here is the second sign.

I was at a work-related workshop. My fellow co-workers and I were working on a project and the instructor wanted one person from each group to give the presentation. Guess who gave the presentation. I stood up, gave my presentation, and got a surprising applause from it. Afterwards, folks were amazed at having the courage to stand up and give a speech out of nowhere - without any "AHs."

In the back of my mind, I wondered if I should return to Toastmasters.

The third sign was based on another work-related workshop I went to. It was called "How to Set and Achieve Goals." There I saw a couple of motivational videos from Les Brown. The messages were simple. What do I love to do and where am I willing to take it.

You may want to call them signs. But thanks to them, I decided to return to Toastmasters. Ever since I walk through the doors of that YMCA to a Starmasters meeting, I have not looked back. I am forever grateful for those three signs. I cannot imagine what life would have been like if I had missed those callings.

If you ever receive signs to do something, please do not ignore them. They may not only change your life, but also take you to places that can go beyond your imagination.

If it can work for me, it will work for you. Just answer the call!!

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog