Sunday, April 3, 2011

Insights from an LGM....so far

Greetings Happy People,

With less than three months in the Toastmaster year, I figure that I would like to share my thoughts with you about the current Toastmaster role I am serving - District 33 Lt. Governor of Marketing.

I have been serving this role since July 1, 2010 and I can tell you that this is an awesome experience. No matter if it is in southern Nevada, central California, and Ventura county, I enjoy serving Happy folks of this District in this position.

This year there have been some challenges. Loss of clubs, hits in membership, and other issues that are either Toastmaster related or personal. Before I campaigned and got elected to this position, I knew about these things. Knowing them and feeling them are two very different things.

I can make excuses on why certain things have not gone too well. I can blame the economy. I can blame people that have a propensity of destroying clubs. I can point fingers at anything that can come under the sun and moon. But I choose not to do that. Why? Because I rather focus on what can be done instead of what could be the undone.

Instead of focusing on the what's wrongs, I choose to focus on the what's rights and what's possible. I believe that this way of thinking has kept me going throughout this year because I know that there are people out there that are looking for different ways and options on how they can grow. Whether it is a person, a club, an area, a division, or a district, growth benefits everyone - ESPECIALLY in these challenging times!!

I would not be surprised if there are folks out there that said I did nothing in this role. My response to them is "really?" As the LGM, I get various phone calls and emails from people in my District asking various questions about Toastmaster related items. Some of the answers I know by heart, others had to be referred to World Headquarters (which have been pretty helpful - thanks guys). My role is helping out the members and clubs in this district and between now and June 30, 2011, that will be remain my intent.

There are also those times where people question my assistance at different areas contest and division TLI's. To that, I say that before I am an LGM, a DTM, or any other alphabet related to this non-profit organization, I am still a Toastmaster!! Nothing more, nothing less. Just because I am in this high district officer position does not mean that I am above helping folks out. I have been in these roles before and know what it is like. If anyone has a question about how stuff is done, I will surely answer them to my best ability.

Beside the negative situations, naysayers and doubters, I still managed to have an awesome time in this role because I choose to. From that, I met great people all over this District, Region, and world!! Some are new Toastmasters, others have been around the block for a while. I have experienced joy in chartering three new clubs and hope to experience more joy as more clubs get chartered.

I am also grateful in working with Area Governors, Division Governors, my fellow Lt. Governor Cheryl Wronski, District 33 Governor Phyllis Tribby, Region II Marketing Advisior Kay Collis, and the Region II International Directors Ken Cawley and Kevin Doyle. These people are awesome and I am very thankful to get an opportunity to meet them all!!

If I were to offer any advice for the next person that takes on this role, it would be the following: Do the best you can and have fun with it. Make this role, your role. Whether it is inside or outside of Toastmasters, any leadership role is a great responsibilty. You have to put into it as much as you want it to come out. That is what I have been doing for the past nine months and it has been paying off in the long run. There will be people questioning things under the sun. Don't let them get to you. Instead, do the best you can with what you got. There are other people that look at this. They will be inspired and want to help you out.

Knowing that it still ain't June 30th yet, I am going to keep on serving this role to the best of my ability. I will also continue to enjoy the rides and adventures that this role has to offer. It is an amazing ride and I am grateful to experience it :o)

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog