Saturday, March 19, 2011

Driving for Success

Greetings Happy People,

Have you ever had one of those moments where you got something right after countless attempts at trying?

Many of us have succeeded because we kept trying to do something until we got the results we wanted. This happens to me many times. No matter what I goal I pursue, I keep trying until I got what I wanted.

One of my most interesting stories happened when I was going for something that would change my life – my own driver’s license. How many times did it take me to get this wonderfully laminated paperwork from the State of Nevada?

Well, it took me I-I-I times.

How did it take me three times to pass this exam? Well, allow me to share the following attempts with you.

ATTEMPT 1 – I went to the DMV office with my father. There we met the person that was going to go over the test with me. I went over the turn signals and started the car. In a matter of seconds, we left the DMV parking lot for a very interesting ride. I drove down Rancho Drive with the greatest of ease as I changed lanes without looking at the right lane. Luckily, that lane was clear. We drove past a school, where I did a rolling stop as a 4-way stop sign. When I got to the corner of Rancho Drive and Vegas Drive, I turned left. Unfortunately, it was toward the island. As I finally got back to the DMV parking lot, I asked the instructor if I passed. She gave me one of those looks and said “Really?” Feeling rejected, I went back home to practice some driving techniques.

ATTEMPT 2 – This time I was ready, or so I thought. As I drove out of the DMV parking lot, I knew I was going to ace this test!! The good news was that I had my hands on the 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock position on the steering wheel. The bad news was that I had my hands on the 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock position on the steering wheel. Apparently, that was not so helpful when it comes to changing lanes, parallel parking, or turning on to another street. I ask the instructor if I passed. To no one’s surprise, she said “No.” Feeling rejected again, I went back to the drawing board.

ATTEMPT 3 – This time I was REALLY ready to take this test. I drove out of the DMV parking lot, stopped at the 4-way stop, turned on to a different street without hitting an island, and parallel parked successfully. When I got back to the DMV offices, I asked the instructor if I passed. This time, she smiled and said “YES!!” I was so happy that I hugged the instructor and the next guy that was about to take his test!! I would never forget that day 15 years ago!!

The brief point of this story is no matter how hard you try, there will be different obstacles that will come your way. There will be other time where you will fail. When these things happen, we must remember to keep going forward until we get to where we want to go. When we finally get there, we can celebrate, rejoice, and simply take pride in our accomplishments. Many successful people have learned this and now you are too!! When there are speed bumps, islands, and stop signs in your path to success, always remember that these things are only temporary. If I can become a success through countless attempts, you can too!! All you have to do is never lose your drive for success!!

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog