Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mentoring DOES Matter

Greetings Happy People,

For the next few seconds, I want you to close your eyes and clear all thoughts.

With your eyes closed, I want you to imagine someone that has been a major influence in your life. Do you have that mental picture? Who do you see? Is it a parent, a teacher, a co-worker, a friend? Chances are that without this person, you would not be where you are. Okay you can open your eyes now.

The message I have for you today began with a trip to Phoenix, Arizona. I attended the 2007 World Championship of Public Speaking. I was there to support fellow Toastmaster and world class speaker Bryant Pergerson. He was one of ten finalists from all over the world competing in this final round of competition. The speech he gave at that contest was all about the importance of mentoring. He made his point by telling stories on how he was mentored by his dad and how he mentored his son. Despite the fact that he did not win this speech contest, he did win by instilling his message to the audience.

On the flight back to Las Vegas, I can only think of the people that influenced my life. There were so many of them to count. From the ol’ man to different teachers, each person has made an impact on my life. If they weren’t there, I would be living a different life. There were those moments where I mentored a few people. Whether it is by playing chess or helping them with their speech, I made an impact on someone else’s life. Amazing isn’t it?

The value of mentorship goes further than one thinks. Mentoring is a tool that makes us better people. It may take some time to teach a person how to do something, but the results from one’s mentorship is priceless. You do not have to be an Einstein to be a mentor. You just have to be yourself. There are no limits to this power. With it, we can go anywhere and do anything. Without it, no one knows where we will go. To make a difference in one’s life, all we have to do is just be a mentor. Who knows what can be created through this process?

That is all I have for you today. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog