Tuesday, March 30, 2010

57 Channels and Nothing On!!

Greetings Happy People,

As I turn on the television tonight, I realized there is nothing on. Through each click of the remote, I see nothing that interests me. With the exception of some sports action, there is not much to watch on TV. It may be sad to say, but the majority of these channels are plagued with something called “reality shows.” As far as I am concerned, they are "pseudo-reality" shows. Out in the real world, you do not see Donald Trump offering an Apprentice job while telling you “You’re Fired!!” You also don’t see 30 women vying for the love of a rapper or rocker from the past – YEAH BOYEEE!! It has gotten to the point where you see a once called “cultural wasteland” become more toxic!!

What would l like to see on TV? Well, I would really like to see the majority of these pseudo-reality shows go bye-bye!! Instead, bring back those shows that are reality-free!! I don’t care if it is from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, or 90’s, a little nostalgia never hurts. Bring back the action shows like The A-Team, Knight Rider, Airwolf, Hardcastle & McCormick, and MacGyver. Bring back the comedy shows like Three’s Company, Diff’rent Strokes, Night Court, Facts of Life, Mork & Mindy (nanu – nanu), and Family Matters. For those executives at NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX, you can also bring back cartoons like G.I. Joe, Transformers, Voltron, Thundercats, Fat Albert, and He-Man (I HAVE THE POWER!!) Heck!! These cartoons can also be on Saturday mornings again!!

Even though I like my sports right now, nothing can beat the action back then. In the NBA, you had Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Patrick Ewing, and a young Michael Jordan playing their hearts out. In the NFL, you had the Redskins, 49ers, Cowboys, Bears, Eagles, Oilers, Dolphins, Broncos, Raiders, and Giants clashing against each other for gridiron supremacy. And in Major League Baseball, you had amazing plays and game changing moments!!

That was great television back in the day!! It offered us an escape from the hustle and bustle of reality. It offered reasons to turn on the television on prime-time. It offered us a chance to be entertained. Even if it is for 30 minutes to an hour!! Those were the days!!

Will we ever see this form of entertainment again? Will we ever escape the grips of pseudo-reality shows? Will we ever find more good things to watch on TV again? I don’t know. One thing is for sure. As long as we can still use the remote to flip the channels, there has got to be something good on TV.

That is all I have for you today. Take care and thank you for your time and attention!!

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog