Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Can You Hear Me Now?

Greetings Happy People,

We live in a world filled with technology. We have emails, faxes, social network sites, and blogs. While all of these may be convenient for us to use, there is one form of communication that never runs out of style – the telephone. This mode of communication may have changed forms in the last 135 years, but its overall purpose remains the same.

Being a socially active person, I have some shyness when it comes to using the phone. Yes, I can use emails, faxes, and any other handy tools to deliver my message, but when it comes to using the telephone, I get shy. Why? Well there are many things that are behind this.

First are my questions of wondering if I would sound awkward. Every time I press those digits, I take a big sigh and hope that I don’t sound too weird to the person on the other end. Secondly, I wonder if I am dialing the right number. I don’t know about you happy people but when it comes to dialing someone’s phone number, I feel a little embarrassed about calling someone and getting the wrong number. Next, when it comes to writing, I am pretty good. However, transferring those words to the telephone can be a challenge for me. I guess it is pretty good that I am still in Toastmasters huh?? Finally, I wonder if the other person on the line is friendly. I really am not a big fan of calling someone that is in a bad mood.

Despite all of the doubts, concerns, and fears I have when it comes to using this device. I still use the telephone. Being a person that takes on leadership roles, using the telephone is a must. Compared to emails, there is something about a telephone that gives a more personal connection with somebody. Every time I dial those 7 digits (10 for long distance), I would create a huge connection with someone on the other line. Whether it is helping different Toastmaster clubs or discussing the latest reports from my Clark Kent job, a phone call can make the difference.

We are all humans. We all have those uneasy moments that we face in life. No matter what we do, we must find a way to overcome our doubts, uncertainties, and questions by simply taking the step forward. For myself, it involves the telephone. Do you have any similar moments like this? If so, there is nothing wrong with taking that first step. Who knows? You might make a good connection for yourself if you go forward instead of moving backwards.

Excuse me, I got a phone call to make.

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog