Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Comeback System

Greetings Happy People!!


When I went to high school back in the day, those were some of the best times in my life. Yes, I did not graduate with honors, but it was an honor for me to graduate.


As mentioned before, there were some cool people that I have met during the four years I was there. Many I am still in contact to this day (Thanks Facebook)!! However, one of the coolest things I have experienced at Gorman was the art of making comebacks in different classes. By this, I mean that I started off pretty slow only to make a comeback and pass the class.


When I first came to high school, my self esteem was low. I started making the grades that I have made when I went to Junior High School. Trust me. They were not the greatest at all!! The one key class I took was my Freshman Algebra class. That was headed by Sister Lorraine Forester. When I began attending that class, I had a low interest in any type of math. My grades were starting to show in the same process.


It looked like I was going to flunk that class when I had a talk with her. She mentioned that the grades I was making did not reflect on the intelligence I had. She also knew that there was something inside me that was able to pull a complete turnaround. Slowly, I started to believe what she was saying. I woke up earlier in the morning just to go over a few of the assignments. I also studied more often and started to get the grasp of different calculations. Instantly, my grades started to improve and I passed that Algebra class!!


This was one of many classes where I used the comeback system. At the end of my freshman year, my overall GPA was pretty pathetic. Thanks to the comebacks I have experienced in many of my classes, I improved my GPA well enough to get into UNLV. As mentioned in “The Ugly Duckling,” I saw high school as a four year rebuilding process. And when I graduated in 1993, I was ready to take on the next challenge.


Like high school, attending UNLV brought on new and different challenges for me. I have faced classes I knew I was able to ace, but there were those classes where I did have a rough start, only to come out triumphant at the end. This was also done by using the same comeback process. And through that, I graduated with my Engineering degree!!


What is this comeback process and how does it work? Well in my opinion, the comeback can be broken into the following steps.


1. You have to be at a temporary point where you are in the rut or downward spiral. When you are at this point, don’t stay there for long!!


2. Find ways to pick yourself up – make up playbook or create a strategic game plan on how to do this!
** HINT- Sometime the best strategy can be broken down into the simplest steps.


3. Always tell and believe that you can do it!! To get to that point, just go to that special mindset where you can vision yourself climbing back on top.


4. Make that first step to your comeback. It maybe the toughest thing to do, but when you do it, the next steps would get a lot easier.
** HINT – Always find positive ways to motivate yourself to get to your destination. Whether it is by believing in yourself or having friends encourage you, always find that encouraging boost!!


5. When you get to the point where you are officially out of your rut, just be happy that YOU made it!! It’s okay to feel good about this because you have proven to yourself that you can do it!!


Those are the steps in the comeback system. If it has worked for me, it can work for you too!! All you have to do is follow and believe in these simple steps and you too can make a comeback for yourself!! IT CAN BE DONE!!


That is all I have to say. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.


Sincerely,


Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog