Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Child

Greetings happy people,

Before we get started with today’s blog, I have the following poem I am going to share with all of you. It is entitled “My Child.”

From the seed that was planted in the fertile land
I will nourish you day and night
In my mind I will do what I know is right
For you are my child

I promise to shelter you from the danger
That lurks from every wayI
want you to be with me every day
For you are my child

Love, encouragement, and tenderness
Are what I am willing to give
And I will do so until I cease to live
For you are my child

Don't forget where you come from
Don't forget where you start
The place that beats within my heart
For you are my child

I love you!

On and off, I have been writing poems since 1995. Some were good, some were okay, and some were awful. “My Child” was one of the best poems I ever wrote. The story behind this poem happened in the spring of 1998, back when I was an Engineering student at UNLV.

When I first wrote this poem, my intent was to write it for one of my friends. Her name was Melanie and she was going to school the same time I was. She is a smart, friendly, pretty, and an amazing individual that one would really like to know.

As I was walking to one of my classes, I saw MeIanie sitting on a bench feeling very sad, lonely, and depressed. Feeling concerned, I asked what was wrong with her. She told me that she was pregnant and her boyfriend left her. She had one of those confused looks where she did not know what to do and was on the verge of tears. It was at that moment, I decided that I was going to cheer her up. Instead of just telling her that everything was okay, I decided to write her that poem.

Once I finished writing the poem, I gave it to her. When she read it, she was on the verge of tears again – this time it was happy tears. Melanie was quite thankful and she was feeling better that day. Not long after I gave her that poem, she had a beautiful healthy daughter named Nia.

Eight years later, Melanie and I were co-workers at my current workplace. She was walking with a little girl tagging along by her side. I asked Melanie who is the beautiful little girl. She said that her name was Nia. And she introduced Nia to me as the man that wrote the poem for her. WOW!! In a way, that made me feel pretty good to know that after all of these years, that poem meant a lot to Melanie and Nia.

This was a good example on how doing something nice for someone can go a long way. On any given day, we know some people that would face hard times. It would leave them feeling very sad, confused, and depressed. Many people would just walk by and not do a thing about it. A helping hand can really make a difference in touching a life. It would show that someone really cares.

Who knows!! The life you touch today can make a bigger impact for you tomorrow. All it takes is an open heart and a random act of kindness to get it done. Once more people are able to do this, the world would be a better place to live in. All we have to do is just take the first step. IT CAN BE DONE!!

That is all I have for now. Take care and thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Jesse I-I-I

No comments:

Search This Blog